nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Review + Contest: Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue

Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescueby Hugh HoweyPublisher: NorLightsPress
Pub. Date: August 31, 2009
292 pages

The year is 2413. In a galaxy full of life outside of Earth, Molly Fyde is a 16 yr old living in a man’s world where all she wants to do is follow in her father’s footsteps. Graduating from the Academy is one step that could get her closer to that goal but when sabotage rears its ugly head, Molly has another thing coming. Finally things start to look up for Molly, her father’s ship, The Parsona is found on an alien planet called Palan where there seems to be no legal or social system intact. Molly along with the help of one charming Navy graduate is on a mission to rescue The Parsona from pirates. They soon find themselves on a journey traveling to new planets and meeting interesting people along the way. What starts out as a simple journey to retrieve her father’s missing ship quickly turns in to an adventure that Molly will never forget...

So I’m a big sci-fi fan, well at least with shows such as "Firefly", "Star Trek", "Stargate SG-1", "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica." So I figured what the heck, I’m probably going to love Molly Fyde. And boy was I right! This book starts off with a bang and albeit a clever one too. I was engrossed with this book from the beginning by Hugh’s tactical missions which were created in a dog eat dog world where Molly has to constantly be on the top of her game and prove that she can hang with the “boys.” I couldn’t wait to finish this book, I wanted to know what adventure Molly and crew would embark upon next.

Hugh created a great cast of unforgettable characters. I love strong heroines in my books and Molly in no exception. She’s smart and brave and she’s one helluva pilot in my opinion and she’s trying to accomplish the impossible that could lead her to becoming the pilot of her own ship. Then there’s the notable Cole Mendonca, Molly’s crush who seems to love conspiracy theories and would do anything to protect Molly. He’s quite the heart-throb and I can see why Molly is smitten. Cole also provides a lot of humor on their adventure in the face of danger that makes me like him even more. The secondary characters are also some of my favorites especially Walter. That’s all I’m going to say!

Hugh crafted a great world where anything is possible. With the way this book ended, I can’t wait to read the next installment in this series. You know what else? This book kept reminding me of Sci-Fi’s “Firefly.”

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars



**Contest Closed**
Win a signed copy of Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue

Rules: 2 Winners

Comment on Review +1
Comment on Interview here: +1
Link to blog: +1
Follow me on Twitter +1
Follower : +2
Total = 6 entries

Contest ends @ midnight (CST) October 31, 2009. U.S. and Canada Residents Only (Sorry!)

20 comments:

  1. *Wonderful review. I really hope I win! And if it reminded you of Firefly... I'm in. Haha.

    *Commented on the interview =)

    *rexrobotreviews.blogspot.com - you've got a link on the side.

    *I'm following you on twitter (@rexreadingrobot)

    *Retweeted ya contest! (http://twitter.com/RexReadingRobot/status/4952967559)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read to much Sci-Fi before, but I think that it's a really cool genre. Thanks for the review!

    +1 I linked this contest to my sidebar

    +2 I'm a follower

    Thanks for the contest!
    Sarah
    two_of_hearts_101 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not usually a reader of sci-fi, but your review convinced me!! The book sounds wonderful...

    I'm a follower.

    mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review -- thanks for covering a new author!

    @gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow sounds like a great read. Thanks for the read. I know three members of my household will love this one.
    scrtsbpal at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a follower
    scrtsbpal at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. your on my blogroll
    www.bookcrazyscrapbookmama.blogspot.com
    I follow you on twitter
    Pamk258
    and am off to comment on the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crap...forgot the e-mail on the last one so I reposted!

    Hmm...this normally doesn't look like something I'd pick up, but your reference to Firefly has convinced me! I loved that show, so of course now I'm going to have to give this book a try!

    +1 Comment on Review
    +1 Link to blog
    +1 Following on Twitter
    +2 Following Blog!

    Natalie @ Mindful Musings
    n_monzyk_27@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book looks great - from what you say about Molly, she sort of reminds me of Honor Harrington.
    enter me in the contest!
    +1 comment on review
    +1 comment on interview
    +1 follow you on twitter (@brizmus)
    +2 follower
    zedster.tbb(at)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Sci-Fi books and this one looks good.

    +1 comment on review
    +1 comment on interview

    jada17@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why is it always US/Canada only *moan* Alright, okay... will have to send to my friend in California, IF I win, is that acceptable? If acceptable, please count me in, if not then please ignore me. Re-posted your contest at: http://contests-freebies.blogspot.com/2009/10/molly-fyde-giveaway.html

    mischivusfairy-spamme2@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm an old follwer of this blog.

    mischivusfairy-spamme2@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review. I absolutely love Firefly! I'm adding this one to my wishlist :)

    Please enter me.
    +1 Commented on review
    +1 Commented on interview
    +1 Link on blog sidebar - http://redhousebooks.blogspot.com
    +2 I'm a follower

    WilowRaven[at]yahoo[dot]com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I really need to read this!

    Link to blog: tweeted +1
    Follow me on Twitter +1
    Follower : +2

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nice review. I read sci-fi occasionally so am interested in reading this.

    +1 Commented on review
    +1 Commented on interview
    +2 Follower

    jen4777[at]hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review! I love Sci Fi! Especially when the author does a great job of world building is at sounds like from your review that this author did. Please enter me in the drawing. Thank you!

    +1 commented on review
    +1 Commented on interview
    +1 Follower on Twitter (cherierj)
    +2 Follower

    cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to enter!

    I follow you on Twitter +1
    I'm already a follower +2

    Lauren
    laurenscrammedbookshelf@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. +1 posted at http://haleymathiot.blogspot.com/2009/10/contests.html
    +2 old follower
    +1 follow on twitter

    haleymathiot at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband and I love sci fi. Your reference to Firefly caught my attention. walkerd@primus.ca

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!