nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Author Interview: Bree Despain

I'm thrilled to be featuring Bree Despain, author of debut novel The Dark Divine today. Bree Despain rediscovered her childhood love for creating stories when she took a semester off college to write and direct plays for at-risk, inner-city teens from Philadelphia and New York. She currently lives in Salt Lake City, Utah,with her husband, two young sons, and her beloved TiVo. The Dark Divine is scheduled to be released December 22, 2009.

What inspired you to write The Dark Divine?
I always like to say that The Dark Divine was born out of a perfect storm of thoughts, emotions, and memories that suddenly came together in my head on a dark night in January 2005. I was thinking about the song “Such Great Heights” by the Postal Service, my new favorite TV show (Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns), a book I had recently read (SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson), and a random memory from the 9th grade. I looked up at a billboard at a stop light, and a conversation between a brother and a sister popped into my head. They were discussing an old friend who had suddenly reappeared in their lives. “He’s dangerous. You have to stay away from him,” the brother warned his sister.

I went home and started writing, and very soon that random 9th grade memory had morphed into the first scene in the first chapter of the book, and the conversation between the brother and the sister became the third scene. And that’s how it all started . . .

If your book was opted for a movie – Which actors do you think would best recreate the main characters in The Dark Divine?
Daniel is the easiest: Taylor Kitsch. I was watching Friday Night Lights one night with my hubby and Riggins (Taylor’s character) looked up at the camera with his beautiful brooding eyes, and I suddenly yelled, “It’s him! He’s Daniel!” And hubby totally agreed (somewhat begrudgingly because, you know, Taylor is so darn hot).

Grace and Jude are a lot harder for me to cast. They both would need to have dark hair and be attractive but also very “good kid” looking. I’d like a young Tom Welling look-alike for Jude. Or possibly Chase Crawford with dark hair. Leighton Meester has the right physical look for Grace, but I just can’t get over her mean-girl-ness in Gossip Girl. Grace is definitely NOT a mean girl! Sometimes I think Taylor Swift with curly dark hair might be a good fit because she is totally sweet but also very confident and determined.

Do readers have any casting suggestions? I’d love to hear them!

Can you share a teaser with us to get us *salivating*?
“Daniel!” I called as the engine roared to life.

He shifted forward on the seat of his bike, “You coming?”

“What? No. I can’t”

“Then why are you here?” Daniel looked at me then, his mud pie eyes—still splotched with red—searching my face.

I couldn’t stop it—that invisible thread pulled me right up next to him. “You got a helmet?”

“This is Zed’s bike. You wouldn’t want to wear his helmet if he had one.” Daniel booted the kickstand. “I knew you’d come.”

“Shut up,” I said, and climbed on the back of the motorcycle…

What other projects are you currently working on?
I’m currently working on a sequel for The Dark Divine. It is so much fun to get to spend more time with some of my favorite characters (and a few new ones). And it’s also fun to get to answer a few of the questions readers will have at the end of the first book.

I have a couple of other paranormal romance stories waiting to be written after the sequel, along with a bit more of a sci-fi romance. I also enjoy writing contemporary humorous fiction, and would love to publish in that genre someday.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
In my personal life, I’d say my two little boys. They are huge handful, but they are also very loving and creative, and it just melts my heart whenever they ask if they can tell me a story. The literary world had better watch out for those two in a couple of decades!

Professionally, I’d say that sticking through the 9 years of hard work and obstacles to finally get published. There were so many times that I thought it would never happen, but luckily I have a support group that is stronger than the negative voices in my head and I just kept on writing and revising and submitting until my dreams finally came true.

Where do you hope to take your writing in the future?
I have several books inside of me, so I hope to always be writing, and always creating more stories in my head—and hopefully people will want to keep paying me for them. :)

After the sequel for TDD, I hope to publish other paranormal novels and even a few realistic ones.

What question are you never asked in interviews but wish you were?
Can I send you a box of chocolates? Yes. Yes you can. As long as it is dark chocolate and dairy free :)

Is there anything else you want people to know about yourself or the book?
I am really really really excited to share the story with everyone and I hope you all enjoy it. I absolutely love writing and being an author is a dream-come-true. Oh, and also, I love chocolate (hehe). Thanks for the interview!


Thanks Bree!

For more information about Bree Despain and her books, please visit her website here.

42 comments:

  1. OMG, I absolutely LOVE the song Such Great Heights! I have TDD and cannot wait to read it. Thanks for the awesome interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great interview.I can't wait to read The Dark Divine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, a young Tom Welling would be adorable. I am glad to hear there will be a sequel to TDD and I will be watching for news of another series.

    Elie (Ellz Readz)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview!!

    I love chocolate too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for TDD sequel! And excellent choice with the dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for next week when I can buy this book. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome question you've never been asked! I wish someone would ask me that too. Can't wait to read TDD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very much looking forward to this book. I can tell from the description and reviews I've seen that it will be very entertaining. Also, it's pretty! Great interview - and I like the bit about never being asked if she'd like chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read this book! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can't go wrong with Taylor Kitsch! Very fun interview. :)

    I can't wait to read TDD!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is actually fairly inspiring. Thank you so much for posting this!!!

    Sincerely,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great to know that TDD will have a sequel. I'm excited about both books now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview. I am glad there will be a sequel even though I have yet to read this book. I have heard so many good things, I can hardly wait! Plus the cover is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview! That's so sweet that her children are her greatest accomplishment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot wait to get and read The Dark Divine! The premise sounds very interesting. I'm glad to hear that she has some other books in the works. I can't wait to see what Bree comes up with after TDD sequel :D

    (And I like Bree that much more now knowing she's a chocoholic, like me ;))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent interview! The author's inspiration for a story is very interesting. Look forward to reading The Dark Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice interview. I loved hearing how she got inspired for The Dark Divine. I love Such Great Heights!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the interview! When I read this, it will be helpful to imagine Daniel as "Mr. Tim Riggins". :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the teaser! I've never watched Friday Night Lights, but now I'll have to check this actor out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great interview! I love getting insight into the writer's life and writing process!

    Also, LOVE Friday Night Lights as well, but I think Matt is my favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't read The Dark Divine yet, so I can't help with casting choices, but if Bree envisions Taylor Kitsch as any character, then hello gorgeous.

    I cannot wait for December 22nd!!

    Thanks for the interview :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lol, I love how she put all of those things together and came up with a book. This looks really great and I can't wait to read it. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so excited about this book! I love everything I read about it. The little teaser is exciting too. It's always great to hear from an author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooo this book sounds so interesting. The author sounds like such a cool person! Someone I'd like to know in real life :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nine years to get published?!
    That's a long time. I'm glad the hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great interview!! An ispiring story!!

    Thanks a lot!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm really interested in reading this book. I too love Tom Welling. Those eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the interview. I came home the other day and had a copy of TDD in my mailbox and had no idea where it cme from. The only person I can think of is Santa, so thanks Santa, it was the best present ever!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great interview. Interesting to know Bree's casting choices.

    ReplyDelete
  30. aww i loved the interview! i'm actually really excited that it's a series!! :D ahh heard sooo many good things about this book :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's wonderful to read about the inspiration behind the author's book. :>

    ReplyDelete
  32. Author interviews are so interesting :) I can't wait to read this!! I would love to see Taylor Swift act aswell :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great interview! Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great interview! I'd love to read The Dark Divine. Gee, Bree loves chocolates too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great interview. Very good questions. So cool to hear there is already going to be a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Taylor Kitsch *_* lol Great interview, I so want to read this one XD

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love how the cover was meant to reflect the story within and also the discussion of which actor could be which character. It really helps to be able to picture a character while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the teaser =) Great interview

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oooh how that teaser takes me back to the book. It was fanfreakintastic. I finished the book is one day because I couldn't put it down. Bree is always so much fun in her chats,interviews and her blog.I love to read what she says, it always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great interview! I loved how she cast the characters. :D

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh wow, loved the teaser! Loved your questions too. I just might have to 'borrow' a couple of them for the next time I do an interview. :P

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!