nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Review: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Pub. Date: December 22, 2009
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Format: Hardcover, 384pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held.

The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.

The closer Grace gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul.

Bree Despain weaves a mysterious tale around surprisingly impressive folklore to tell a captivating and spellbinding tale of Love, Danger & Forgiveness. I was thoroughly engrossed after the introduction of Daniel. There’s something so mysterious about him that just draws you in and dares you to uncover his secrets.

I didn’t know what to expect about that fateful night that left Jude and Daniel’s friendship destroyed. But let me tell you as the pages turned and the events unfolded, I was shocked and surprised because I was thinking something totally different about the mysteries surrounding Daniel. So, I can’t go into any more details without being too spoilery. You’ll have to find out for yourself.

I love all the characters in this book and that’s a feat considering it’s hard to find a book where you enjoyed reading about all of the characters. Grace is a pastor’s daughter and you know what they say about the pastor’s kids…. Anyway, I love the chemistry between Grace and Daniel and the immediate dangers that tied into their relationship and the fact that it kept me up late at night to finish the book.

Despain presented quite a few unexpected twists and turns in The Dark Divine that will have readers begging for more by the end of the book. So to say the least this was a DIVINE read indeed!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

45 comments:

  1. This book sounds like it has everything I crave from a paranormal one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I cannot wait to get my copy from Amazon, I have yet to see one bad review from those who have been lucky enough to get an early copy =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little burnt out on paranormals, but this sounds tempting. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, I loved this book! Can't wait to own a hardcopy! It was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I wish to have this book! I didn't get the requested ARC, but I am hoping to get my own copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great review.I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh this book sounds mysterious and full of twists; can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was lucky enough to read TDD too, and you did a great review! I really enjoyed it, and I'm always curious to see what other people thought of it, the response has been so positive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad it was just as good as I'd imagined it would be! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please enter me in contest.... I MUST READ IT! It sounds so interesting and I just can't help but want so please enter me and I also commented on the interview which by the way was very interesting and somewhat inspiring.

    Sincerely,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to read this book that I'm afraid of being spoiled and so I'm only reading your rating, which I'm very excited to see is 4.5 out of 5. Can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. This is on my most wanted list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read the first chapter of this book and it DOES suck you in! I can't wait to read the rest and I am excited that there are twists in the plot! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been hearing great things about TDD. I can't wait to read about all the twists and turns. I love a good romance/mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! A book that shocks and surprises and isn't what you expect it to be! I totally need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree that it's hard to find a book where you enjoy ever character. So when you do, you should snag it up. Now I'm definitely interested.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm definitely interested in checking this one out, especially after your enticing review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 4 1/2 stars, woohoo! This definitely sounds unique and awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A new book for me to check out, thanks for a wonderful non spoiler review.



    Jackie B Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cannot wait to read this book! Your review just reignited my anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review. I'm really looking forward to this one and your 4.5 rating makes me want to read it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This books really looks like a great one, and your review just makes me want to read it more. =3

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love to hear the thoughts of others before a book comes out. It really raises the suspense. I really can't wait for this book either. So excited.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Grace is sucha pretty name:)
    I wish to totally read this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow that sounds so cool! I can't wait for it to come out. I like hearing what others think of it before it even comes out- it makes me anxious to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would loooove to win this book!
    My email is readingaddict63@aol.com

    Comment on Interview +1
    Comment on My Review +1
    Link to blog +1
    Follower +2

    Total = 5 entries

    http://addicted2reading4evr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great sinopsis + Great review + Great cover = Definetly going to my wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, looks like this is going to move up in my TBR pile. Great review - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This book has been on my list for a while now and I can't wait to read it!
    great review!
    I'm a pastor's kid...so it'll be interesting to read about a fictional one! =]

    ReplyDelete
  30. After this review I really want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can't wait to read this. It's been on the top of my TBR pile forever.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am just getting interested in the paranormal and urban fantasy genre and this looks like a great book. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  33. justpeachy36@yahoo.com

    +1 commented on interview
    +1 commented on review
    +1 follow on twitter
    +2 follower via Google Friend Connect

    Please enter me in the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm going to get myself a copy of this book for sure. It sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is a great review! The book sounds very interesting, and the cover is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome review! I need this novel. :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice review! I'm going to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great review. It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This sounds like a well-done, complex paranormal story. I hope it lives up to all I've read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I cant wait to read this. Great review =)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I couldn't agree with you more. This book was fantastic. I can't wait for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This sounds great! Good review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awww, now I really really want to read it. Sounds absolutely amazing and your right, it is hard to find books where all the characters are lovable. Thanks for the review.

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!