nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with Jennifer Hubbard!


Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson


Jennifer R. Hubbard lives and writes in Wyncote, Pennsylvania. The Secret Year is her first book. The Secret Year was released January 7, 2010!

If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
I would love to see North America before so much of it was developed, before the rivers were dammed and the original forests were cut. But then, I am grateful for many things we have now that we didn’t always have in the past: antibiotics and women’s rights, to name a couple.

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
I can do it in three: Secrecy, loss, obsession.

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
I can’t pick just one favorite book. But I currently have an author crush on Neal Shusterman. He did a great job with the dystopic YA novel Unwind, the humorous The Schwa Was Here, and a novel of the possible afterlife, Everlost. I don’t know how he can write so many different kinds of books and make them all so good.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
I don’t know. Book characters tend to suffer a lot, since their conflicts drive the plot! Would any of us really want to be someone else? It would be fun to have some of their adventures, though. For example, there’s a Sinclair Lewis book called Free Air in which a young woman driv es across country around 1916—before there were paved interstate highways.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you / Why?
Maybe Jenna Fischer (she plays Pam on The Office). She has a very natural, down-to-earth way about her.

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
I have a terrible time coming up with titles. So maybe they should call it The Book with No Name. Or Jennifer R. Hubbard: In Search of a Title.

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
Even when I write flash fiction, I can’t yet distill life down to seven words.


Thanks Jennifer for stopping by!

For more information about Jennifer Hubbard and her books, please visit her website here.

18 comments:

  1. These interviews are always so much fun - I'm with her. It would be cool to go back to North America before it was developed. I would love to see what that looked like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jenna Fisher. Good choice on her part. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. Looking forward to reading her latest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, "The Book with No Name." I'm terrible with titles too!

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! I always love to hear from new authors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha...I loved the no title bit for her biography! I am horrible at coming up with titles for anything too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the interview! I love Jennifer's answer about how characters tend to go through really bad things. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Jennifer R. Hubbard: In Search of a Title." Hahaha, great answer :) Awesome interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview. I don't think I could distill my life down to seven words either LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with her about Neal Shusterman. I'd like to see him get some more press!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope I get to read the book. And she's pretty too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I loved her answers. I have a lot in common with her. I also loved the books "Unwind" and "Everlost". As well as loving Jenna Fischer!
    I really can't wait to read this book. I love the story idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great read! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview! I've heard a lot about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the interview :) Looking forward to this book

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super job! I like the interesting questions you asked. I can't wait to read this book!!

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!