nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with Julie Kagawa!


Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson


Julie Kagawa was born in Sacramento, California. But nothing exciting really happened to her there. So, at the age of nine she and her family moved to Hawaii, which she soon discovered was inhabited by large carnivorous insects, colonies of house geckos, and frequent hurricanes.

Julie now lives in Louisville, Kentucky, where the frequency of shark attacks are at an all time low. She lives with her husband, two obnoxious cats, one Australian Shepherd who is too smart for his own good, and the latest addition, a hyper-active Papillon puppy. Her debut novel, The Iron King is scheduled for release February 1, 2010!

If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
Hm, my first choice would be Medieval Japan, around the 1400-1500s. But only if I could be a ninja.

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
Girl must rescue her brother from faeries.

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
Favorite book? As in, just one? Impossible! J Can I name a (very) few favorites instead? Perfect Chemistry, Poison Study, Lord of the Rings, Bird-by-Bird, Royal Assassin, A Game of Thrones, Song in the Silence, Tithe, The Briar King, The Fox Woman … um, I should stop now.

My fictional crush to date is Poison Study’s Valek, because I have a thing for dark, mysterious assassins (something I should probably tell a shrink about). Valek is cool and dangerous and no one has been able to topple him as of now.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
I’m torn between Yelena from Poison Study, because she gets Valak, and Buffy (for obvious reasons).

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you / Why?
Lucy Liu. Because she is awesome. And Asian. And I love her. :D

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
Ummmm, I’m not really sure. I’m bad at writing bios and wouldn’t even know where to begin with a biography. But I do know this: the word Gecko would definitely be in the title. :P

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
Lover of books, ninja, and video games.


Bonus:

**Is there any additional info you would like to share with your readers about what’s next for you and your books?**

Well, there are two more planned books in The Iron Fey series, The Iron Daughter and The Iron Queen, and after that, who knows? I do plan to keep writing for as long as my fingers keep working, though. Unless I lose them in a horrible chainsaw accident. Hm, but then I could get that voice recognition software and type that way. In any case, I'd find a way to keep writing books, so keep your eyes peeled. I don't plan to go anywhere. ;-)


Thanks Julie for stopping by!

For more information about Julie Kagawa and her books, please visit her website here.

26 comments:

  1. I love learning more about Julie. She's so kind-and so entertaining. Great Sensational Seven! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh this is like the best interview I have seen. She makes me laugh. I would certainly go back in time to Japan as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great interview. I am really looking forward to reading The Iron King and am glad it's going to be a series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun interview! I am anxious to read Iron King as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like learning more about authors.Great interview

    ReplyDelete
  6. She wants to be a ninja in medieval Japan! That would be SOOOO cool! Though I don't think I could handle the dead people they used to showcase on the sides of the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Describe your novel in seven words or less?"
    "Girl must rescue her brother from faeries."

    Wow! I would have a difficult time describing my book in seven words or less. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie has great taste in books! And I can see where the book gets it humor from. Can't wait! Great interview too, btw. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, great taste in book favorites! I love so many of them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this interview. Julie made me smile and even laugh with her responces. I thought it was so funny how she said that she would keep writing until her fingers worked. LOL

    :]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview. Can't go wrong with a good book about faries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wouldn't it be nice to have Lucy Liu play you in a movie? She's a kick-ass actress, I love her even when she's the villain.

    I peeked at the excerpt of your book. It reads well, and now I'm interested in getting it.

    You're a California Girl? I live in California, my whole life. I think it's a pretty cool state, but I think Hawaii might be a fun place to live too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! Horrible chainsaw accident indeed. The list of your favorite books has enough of MY favorites that I'm instantly intrigued by the others...darn! More books to add to the pile...

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview. Glad to hear there will be more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the great interview. I love it that there will be 2 more books in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun interview! I think Lucy Liu would be perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great interview! I am so excited about this book. I am glad there will be more books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How cool that Julie has read The Study series! I love it when authors have read the books I love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie is awesome! I can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun interview!! And now I'm definitely exited about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed reading this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A fellow ninja lover! In the ancient battle between Pirates, ninja's always prevail. =3 lol, the book looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Julie is awesome. Thanks for the ninjatastic interview, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!