nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with Kate Cann!


Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson


Kate Cann lives in England with her husband, daughter, son, and dog. She worked as an editor for many years before writing several books for teens, inclduing Spanish Holiday and Grecian Holiday. For more about Kate and her novels, visit www.katecann.com. Possessed is in stores today!

If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
A court in Early Medieval England. Something in me wants to hear wolves at night and be in the absolute pitch black and not take existence for granted. But at the first sign of toothache or infection I’d teleport back to the 21st C …

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
Ancient dark forces rise but Rayne triumphs.

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
Jane Eyre. Sorry, but it’s Jane Eyre. She’s doughty, feminist, full-blooded, passionate, honest, straight forward, stalwart, and courageous. And only occasionally priggish.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
Not Jane Eyre. She doesn’t have quite enough fun. Maybe the bad Rebecca! Or a sea witch.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you / Why?
I really, REALLY don’t think they should make a film about my life. It would be very boring. But maybe Dawn French could be me because she has the best grin going – and also people might come up to me and say ‘Oooh, you’re a bit thinner in real life!’

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
See above. Too boring! But something along the lines of: 'She Finally Worked It Out. Possibly.'

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
Volatile Occasionally lazy. Actually - quite often lazy.


Bonus:

**Is there any additional info you would like to share with your readers about what’s next for you and your books?**
I’m working on an adult book at the moment, but I hope to get a contract to do another dark YA book called WITCH CRAG. It’s set in a dystopian world where strong women are persecuted as witches and the only way they can protect themselves is by fleeing to a gloomy crag and acting as witches to keep their persecutors at bay So it’s going to be about how we mythologize ourselves - about image and reality and truth, and the crossings over between them. With a fair bit of gore and fear thrown in …

Thanks Kate for stopping by!

For more information about Kate Cann and her books, please visit her website here.

26 comments:

  1. Great interview - I love Kate's books! She's one of my favourite UK authors :)

    Love the answer about Dawn French. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview!

    Good luck on the next book Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, a distopian witch book... SOUNDS GREAT!!!! :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, a sea witch could be devilishly fun!

    Great interview!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge fan of dystopia books...so hopefully she can get Witch Crag publish :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Witch Crag sounds really good! I always love dystopian fiction. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crossing my fingers that she gets Witch Crag published!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Witch Crag sounds like a neat book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this sounds like a really good book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the interview. I'd like to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WooHoo! new author(for me)

    would love a chance at a book of hers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview... I think this one sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview. I am looking forward to her book. And Witch Crag sounds interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on the mideval time - it would be nice to see the world in that time, no artificial lights, true darkness and the stars...

    But, yes - I would be a horrible person to live then. No pain medicine, no antibiotics, no deodorant (pheuwww), no salsa music, and rarely did the regular folks get books, much less know how to read. It would definitely be a time to visit, not stay!


    Witch Crag sounds like a book I need to read, hope it's possible soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice interview, good luck with Witch Crag

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the interview! Great Q&A!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice interview. Kate sounds more interesting than she lets on. I mean, she is an author and that's not a boring job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always been curious about England from the 1930s back but I don't think I could survive without heat, air conditioning, and clean food/ water very well.

    Witch Craig sounds neat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Witch Crag sounds cool! I can't believe distopia is so big right now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. haha. Lazy. I am too. I'm glad to know that I can still do something like this while being lazy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job on the interview! I liked the variety of questions.

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!