nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with Kristin Walker!

Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson


Kristin Walker grew up roaming the Pennsylvania countryside. She finally landed at Penn State, where she earned a BA in Theatre Arts. In addition to being actor, Kristin was many things on her way to becoming an author, such as a lifeguard, a nanny, a beginning ballroom dance instructor, a library circulation clerk, and very nearly a nurse.

A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL (Razorbill/Penguin Group) is her first novel. Her work has appeared or is forthcoming in LADYBUG, WEE ONES, and two CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL books. Kristin lives in a Chicago suburb with her husband and three sons.

If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
When I was little, I was obsessed with the Little House on the Prairie era. I mean seriously obsessed. I even owned a bonnet. (I know.) But as I grew up, I learned to appreciate modern conveniences like electricity and indoor plumbing. So whichever time period I'd visit would have to be set up for those. Ever since I saw Mary Poppins (get the feeling that I watch a lot of TV? Yeah, guilty), I've thought it would be cool to visit Edwardian England. Before the world wars. When women wore big hats and carried parasols. Oh, hold on, that's before Penicillin and the Polio vaccine. Forget that. Wait, I know! I want to go back to 1976 when I was six years old and my family moved to New Zealand for two years. It's such a gorgeous country with great culture and traditions. Plus they have this delicious kind of fruit called feijoas that you scoop out with a spoon. Mmmmm...

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
High school seniors fake-marry. Hilarity ensues.

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
Oh, man how do I choose? Okay, my latest "favorite" book is THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak. It's astounding. It's the kind of book that makes other writers (well, me, at least) want to quit altogether because we can never even approach that level of artistry. And he's younger than I am! Way to pour salt in the wound, universe.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
Come on ladies! All together now...Elizabeth Bennet! Seriously, Mr. Darcy was loaded. LOA-DED. He wasn't in possession of just one fortune, he had like thirty. And before you start grumbling about the lack of indoor plumbing, I'd like to point out that nowhere in PRIDE AND PREJIDICE does Elizabeth Bennet use a chamber pot or an outhouse. So I wouldn't have to either.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you / Why?
It would be a sorrowful and desperate day in Hollywood if they made a movie about my life. But if I get to choose the lead, then I'm picking Scarlet Johanssen. No, I don't look anything like her! Yes, I was driving when she was still in diapers! What's your point? You asked me who I'd LIKE to see. Who'd you expect me to pick? Cloris Leachman? Actually, I love Cloris Leachman. She's hilarious. I'd be cool with her, too.

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
I Suddenly Ran Out of Time: A Lifetime of Procrastination

I'm one of those people who only get things done at the last minute. Except that sometimes the things don't get done. I've been saying, "I suddenly ran out of time" my whole life. It's getting engraved on my headstone. Get it? Ha ha.

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
More comfortable in sweats than stilettos. ButIstilllovestilettos.


Bonus:

**Is there any additional info you would like to share with your readers about what’s next for you and your books?**

Apparently, when your book gets published, people expect you to write more of them. So I'll have to get on that pretty soon. Wish me luck! This was a blast. Thanks so much for having me here, Tina!


Thanks Kristin for stopping by!

For more information about Kristin Walker and her books, please visit her website here.

24 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that there is an award waiting for you at my site!
    http://extremereaderbookreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That might just be the title of my autobiography too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love the title of the autobiography.... priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this book looks awesome. I love high school romantic books. The cover is cute too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved Little House on the Prairie, but not necessarily the era. I think it would be frustrating to live in that time: no toilets, cars, or other conveniences.

    Great interview!

    -Kelsey
    krae991@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun interview, I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She sounds fun! I'm excited to read her book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds like a good book! I'm in high school so this should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great interview, this book sounds amazing. looking forward to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice interview, this sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, now I'm really lookking forward to this book, she's hilarious! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL... I always wanted to go back to the time of Little House too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love her potential biography title.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was also obsessed with Little House on the Prairie!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun interview! Very funny answers! I agree regarding Elizabeth Bennet and loving the past, but not being willing to give up modern medicine & indoor plumbing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried to read The Book Thief a year or two ago but then we moved again so all that packing and unpacking got in the way of reading. Before I knew it, the book was due back at the library and I haven't had a chance to pick it up since. I may have to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed the Book Thief too! That is the only book that really made me break down and all out weep.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Was fun reading this enjoyable interview!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like such a fun book! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun interview! Not only do I want to read her book-I want to have lunch with her. She sounds like a blast. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great interview! Lol, like her title for her bio. That would be mine

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the way her sense of humor shines through while responding to your questons. I bet the interview was like talking with an old friend.

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!