nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Review: Possessed by Kate Cann

Possessed by Kate Cann
Pub. Date: February 2010
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Format: Hardcover, 336pp
Age Range: 12 and up

Rayne can't wait to start her summer job at a remote country mansion, far from the crowded, noisy London she so desperately wants to escape. But the retreat soon turns into a nightmare -- the mansion is creepy, the legends of ghosts keep Rayne up at night, and she doesn't feel safe anywhere.

Can Rayne figure out why she's so freaked -- before she becomes a ghost story herself?

Rayne Peters longs to get away from feeling trapped by the noisiness of the Estate, her mum’s constant chattering, and her boyfriend’s reputation. All she wants is to sort out her life away from the constant chaos around her. Rayne accepts a position at Morton’s Keep as her solution to finding solace but she never thought she would end of being lured into a living nightmare.

I don’t think I’d ever want to walk in Rayne’s shoes. It took guts to manipulate her way into leaving the clutches of the Estate behind just so she could breathe and sort out the craziness in her life. I think I would have lost my mind being so isolated. Possessed had me looking over my shoulders every time I heard a noise. This book had my nerves on edge. It had me making sure my closet door was closed and I even slept with the TV on, something I never do. To say the least, this book gave me the spooks.

The mysteries surrounding the history of Morton’s Keep was quite fascinating. I enjoyed hearing about the various rumors about ghosts and sinister deeds of the past Lords’ of the Keep. Cann did a great job keeping me in suspense. I never could tell what anyone was hiding and why they were afraid to clue Rayne in. I can’t wait to read the sequel!

Possessed was full of suspense and mystery that kept me glued to the pages…

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

33 comments:

  1. I REALLY want to pick this one up! Thank you for the awesome review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love suspense and mystery, so am sure to enjoy this book! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that this book is a little scary.. Not sure if its true or not, but it only intrigues me more. Mystery and suspence are two of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tina.....great day huh..?
    Thanks for the brief yet nice review...
    thanks for sharing..have a nice day....

    my update: http://coffeecrackers.blogspot.com/2010/02/3rd-on-my-wishlist.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope that I get to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Possessed was full of suspense and mystery that kept me glued to the pages"
    Great review! This sounds fabulous.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh! Sounds creepy and fun! I'm adding this to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love horrors...yeah!!! i bought the sarah rayne's dark deviding...waiting to be read.....
    =b

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good ghost story. Just finished The Seer of Shadows by Avi. Very creepy also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't read many horrors but this sounds good..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, sounds creepy and awesome!! I like that it's a different idea and not like most books out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that sounds really awesome and creepy at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to read a good suspense story and this one sounds like it would fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like a book that you would not want to read if your were alone by yourself at home after dark

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds deliciously creepy! I'm looking forawrd to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review. Suspense and mystery, hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is this a YA book? sometimes they are scarier than their adult counterparts. I might have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds scary and the cover looks really freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this book sounds so deliciously scary! I want to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm posting a comment because I follow you on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  21. Possessed sounds so good! I haven't read a creepy book in a while, so this one has definitely piqued my interest.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love books like this! I usually make a kind of nest in the blankets with them up to my nose and jump a mile at any creepy noises.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've really been interested with spooky stories lately and this sounds like one to put on my list! Great review. I'm really wanting it more now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can't wait to read this! I haven't been spooked by a book in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love reading suspense and mystery books. This sound like a great book and I want to read ASAP. Your review was terrific and the interview was awesome. Kate Cann is a great author from what I read and I love your Q&A.. Thanks for the great review, interview and giveaway.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Spooky? Creepy? Oooohhh my! I would probably be the one to sleep with the TV on AND the lights and grab my hubby in the middle of the night when I am re-living the book! Nice review! Definitely an attention getter!

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  27. I commented on the interview

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  28. I commented on your review

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  29. I follow you on Twitter
    ID: @NancyeDavis

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  30. Follower

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    #2

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!