nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Review: The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
Pub. Date: March 16, 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Format: Hardcover, 336pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new
feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her
"power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

Derting’s debut novel is a gripping page turner full of romance, mystery, and suspense.

Violet’s ability to sense the dead has plagued her since she was little. She had to constantly cope with being drawn to the echoes left behind by the dead. The torment that ensued after her discovery of a dead body had my heart breaking for her. She had a great support system that was there for her throughout each incident which was a nice surprise, since in most of the books I read the protagonist kept her abilities a secret from her loved ones. I loved Derting’s take on Violet’s ability to sense the dead. It was interesting to see what sound or taste would be identified with each echo. Derting’s description of the echoes, although creepy at times, was one of the reasons I enjoyed this book. Violet’s unique ability had me constantly questioning: Who would be the next victim? / What clues would be uncovered next?

The romance in THE BODY FINDER is bitter sweet. Even though there’s death around, I enjoyed the softer aspects of this novel. Violet and Jay had been friends since they were 6. Following along as their relationship blossomed into something more kept a smile on my face. Who doesn’t love First Love? I also did not realize how I would be emotionally attached to these characters. Which is why, I was shocked that I *sniff sniff* teared up. It took me by surprise – it being the emotional part.

The chapters on the Serial Killer were so chilling in its telling that I got goose bumps. It was so hard not to want to know where he would strike next. Disturbing I know, but it kept me eagerly turning the pages. I’m thrilled that I’ll get to read more about Violet and her abilities in the sequel, DESIRES OF THE DEAD scheduled for release in 2011.

Rating: 4 ½ out of 5 Stars

25 comments:

  1. Another rave review! I just missed my copy today, but oh well - there's always tomorrow:) I hope I won't *sniff sniff* much XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This one is on my wishlist :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds almost like Sixth Sense with the power to see dead people....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review. It's not the type of book I'd expect I'd like, but you've got me wanting to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww amazing review!! I just bought this today, but have two other books to finish before I can move on to this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh I've read so many good reviews for this book. I can't wait to get my hands on it and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great read, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhh!i love it when a book gives ya goosebumps, I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited to get my hands on this book. It looks so great and I don't think I have seen a bad review yet, which is incredible and makes me want the book even more. :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know there will be a sequel. That's such great news. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this book sounds really good! i can't to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Boy! Oh Boy! Sounds like this will be one that you can't lay down once started.

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks likes a young Harper Connelly (Charlaine Harris series). Gotta say I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't imagine having the ability to see the dead. This is not what I want to see. This books sounds very good and I want to read it.
    Thanks for the great reveiw.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't realize it was so emotional. The bittersweet ending has me a little nervous; I'll have to flip to the back of the book to see how everyone ends up before I start reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. aww...I love "First Love" love stories (okay, how many times can I really write "love" in one sentence?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super duper review. I love the cover too. Thanks.

    dorcontest at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really want to read The Body Finder. I've heard good things about it and the story sounds so creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like such a great book. And since you gave it such a good rating I have to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love romance story's that are bitter sweet I have to read this I dont know what I would do if i had viola abilities this is in my TRB great review

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great Review! Hope to win this!

    Thanks
    dcf_beth at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love reading love stories about people that have known each other forever!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been dying to read this! I loved that for once, it wasn't some new guy that just popped in and suddenly whisks a girl's heart away. And the whole concept .. and the death ... Forgive me, but I am quite intrigued by these things. And they're all wrapped up in one book! Can't wait to borrow this from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww, this sounds so good. I love the idea of a really sweet, once friends, now more relationship in a paranormal book.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!