nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Review: The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan
Pub. Date: March 09, 2010
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Format: Hardcover, 416pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She's content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry's mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry's generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother's past in order to save herself and the one she loves.
Carrie Ryan grabs you by the teeth with THE DEAD TOSSED WAVES and never lets you go. Before jumping into this book, I felt almost hesitant, wondering if I was ready to embark on another harrowing journey and worried about how emotionally wrecked I’d be in the process. When I opened the book, there was an ominous feeling in the air, leaving me edgy and wanting to chant -“Don’t do it Gabry,” right from get go. I can tell you that Carrie Ryan wastes no time jumping back into the thick of things and this novel starts off with one hell of a bang!

Reading this book through Gabry’s 1st person POV puts you right smack in the middle of the action. I empathized and cringed for her every step of the way. Gabry didn’t think she had the strength and skills of her mother to handle the Unconsecrated/Mudo/Breakers but her actions in this book proved she was just as strong as Mary. The secrets and suspense in this book had me sitting on the edge of my seat. The characters in DTW are flawless. Once again, Ryan drilled into my emotions and had them pouring all over the pages.

When I finished reading THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH, the first thing I did was go the Carrie Ryan’s website to see if there would be a sequel. Well, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on THE DEAD TOSSED WAVES even though it's a companion novel. If you thought THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH was good, well THE DEAD TOSSED WAVES is something to behold. Ryan had me on pins and needles with this thrilling installment. With the way TDW ended, I can't wait to find out what's in store for Gabry in the next installment!

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

37 comments:

  1. This book sounds so interesting! The cover freaks me out a bit, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this sounds like a fantastic book. I'm adding it to my wishlist right now!!!
    Thanks for the great review : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this! I just finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and I have to know more about what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have got to know why they all died!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize there was going to be a sequel to Hands and Teeth! I am adding this to my wishlist now, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful review. I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great! I too went right to Ryan's site after reading TFoHT to see if a sequel is coming. But, a companion is the next best thing, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished the The Forest of Hands and Teeth this week...I refused to read any reviews on this one until I finished ha ha. I am surprised that this next story jumps to Mary's daughter...but I like that. I would like to know the details with that considering how The Forest left off. Now I REALLY can't wait to read this book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved, loved, loved Hands and Teeth. Really looking forward to checking out the sequel. I had assumed, however, that the story would carry on through Mary's PoV. It's her daughter's story? Interesting. Now I really want to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic review! I love The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I'm so glad you gave it 5 stars. That means it's something I need to get my hands on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all this book has a beautiful cover! I haven't read The Forest of Hands and Teeth yet, but after reading this review I am axious to get on it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to read this book! It sounds amazing! Plus the cover is awesome. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh WOW!! After reading your review I have got to read this book, or actually both books. Your review drew me in and trapped me with what's next, I can't wait to see.
    Thanks,

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been waiting for this one to be released since I read Forest and was sucked into the zombie world :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just glanced over this b/c I can't wait to read The Dead Tossed Waves, and I don't want to spoil anything. It's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i really want to read this book now! ooh it sounds sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My God!
    I've heard so many good things about this book!
    i need to read it NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I honestly cannot wait to read this. My friend introduced me to the first and I fell in love during the first couple of pages. I can already tell Gabry is different from her mother and that this book will be so much better than the first, though the first was pretty amazing. I know this will be a wonderful read :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like a very intriguing book. I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the review! This sounds so good, now I have to read the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this sounds interesting. I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda if-y on reading a book like this. The only "dead" things I read about are vampires. LOL I like my romance, but this sounds kinda interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, 5 stars! I can't wait to read this. I enjoyed the FHT so much I can't imagine DTW topping it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm really looking forward to this & after seeing it get such a good review, I'm even more excited! : ) I'm working through the first one right now. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I cannot wait to read this one! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds amazing. I have got to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely loved The Forest of Hands and Teeth and can't wait to read the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm normally weary of companion books but this sounds excellent. Happy you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great review. I really cant wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great review! I can't wait to read this, but I have to finish FoHaT first! Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! 5 stars! I'm gonna have to add this book on my to-read list after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It sounds so enthralling that I'm almost afraid to read it LOL! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, interesting, I didn't know it was a companion, not a sequel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fab review. Now, I need to get The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

    dorcontest at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I haven't had a chance to read the Forrest of Hands and Teeth yet.
    But I'm extremely curious about this book... so I might just have to check them both out.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great review! i am almost drooling with excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really enjoyed your review, especially your lead: "Carrie Ryan grabs you by the teeth with THE DEAD TOSSED WAVES and never lets you go." As a retired teacher, we always taught our kids about having a strong lead to "hook" the reader. You definitely did that! Well done!

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!