nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with Carrie Ryan!


Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson


Born and raised in Greenville, South Carolina, Carrie Ryan is a graduate of Williams College and Duke University School of Law. A former litigator, she now writes full time. She lives with her writer/lawyer fiancé, two fat cats and one large puppy in Charlotte, North Carolina. They are not at all prepared for the zombie apocalypse. THE DEAD TOSSED WAVES is the sequel to THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. It hit shelves today!

If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
That’s a tough question - I kind of like today because life is pretty easy (easy access to food, electricity, shelter, etc). If I could go anywhere and any time I’d love to visit the Court of King Arthur. I’ve always been fascinated by the stories and it would be cool to be surrounded by such intrigue, magic and inspiration.

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
Life’s safe behind barriers -- is it living?

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
I don’t play favorites with books -- I love too many! I have a ton of crushes but one of my current faves is Peeta from the Hunger Games -- I love how he adores Katniss for who she really is: strong, fierce, smart and flawed.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
The first person who comes to mind is Hermione because she’s so smart and capable and she gets to do magic all the time.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you / Why?
I have no idea! I don’t watch enough movies to know who all the actresses are. I’m sure she’d be quite bored playing my life since it involves a lot of sitting around and staring at the computer screen while taking pictures of my lazy pets and posting them on twitter.

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
I’m terrible with titles (I have a hard enough time titling my own books without titling someone else’s - haha). Maybe “Follow your Passion.” It’s not really a title but more my personal motto. My mother taught me growing up that if you follow your passion you’ll find a way to make a living doing it and she was right!

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
Lucky, happy, looking forward to the future.


Bonus:

**Is there any additional info you would like to share with your readers about what’s next for you and your books?**
My second book, The Dead-Tossed Waves, comes out on March 9th and I’m thrilled to be heading out on tour for it (the tour information is here: http://carrie-me.blogspot.com/2009/03/dead-tossed-waves-tour-page.html). I’ve just finished the third book in the series which will be coming out Spring 2011 and I have a few short stories set in the same word coming out in 2010.

Thanks Carrie for stopping by!

For more information about Carrie Ryan and her books, please visit her website here.

34 comments:

  1. I would have liked if the author picked a character in the one question about who would play her in a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview. Now I really need to read Hunger Games because of the crush question. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I am excited that there is a 3rd book in the series, of course 2011 is too long to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. >D I approve of Team Peeta.

    Yay on third book! I really enjoyed the first one so I'm looking forward to more from this series. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice interview. Who should play her in a movie? How about Kate Winslet? Why not, if you're gonna have a star play you, an Academy Award winner ain't too shabby.

    I thought Hermione was an interesting pick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT interview. A Peeta fan? YAY! And I would've picked Hermione too! Seriously, this made me love Carrie even more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that she talked about Hermoine. :] That made me smile.

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! Why is everyone Team Peeta? I like both, but I lean towards Gale. Anyway, I can't wait for The Dead Tossed Waves!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the interview. Glad to see another southern girl make it big. I love your book and can't wait to read it. I agree with your Mom, follow your passion. I will try to read your books in order since THE DEAD TOSSED WAVES is the sequel to THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. Your Titles are catchy and get your attention.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview! It would be so cool to go back in time and visit King Arthur's court!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun questions! I loved her seven-word synopsis :) I'm so excited to read this next book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The seven word synopsis of the novel is spot on. And I'd like to visit King Arthur's court too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The seven word synopsis makes me want to read it so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great interview! I really want to read this series now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. woot!
    Carrie rocks ;)!
    Can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love how she is a Peeta fan. The Hunger Games series is AH-mazing. And, I am in love with TFOHAT series :)Carrie Ryan is wonderful<3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed the interview very much. I know I would enjoy reading her book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woohoo, Peeta all the way :) Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview! If I were to go back in time King Arthur's court would be cool...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know there is going to be a 3rd book in the series. That's such good news. I enjoyed the FHT book so much, I can't wait to find out whats in store for DTW & 3.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's comforting to know I'm not alone when I can't pick a favorite book. : ) Oh & a third book in the series? Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wicked interview. It's so awesome that she picked Hermione. lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great interview. I'm on Team Peeta too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoyed the interview. I'm also on Team Peeta and I think Hermione is awesome too.

    Thanks for the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another great interview. Thank you for taking the time to do and share this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great interview! YES-Another Team Peeta fan! Wooohoooo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Some very interesting questions with some interesting answers! Thanks for the interview! (And I have to agree with her on Peeta LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I enjoyed reading this interview! Thanks for posting this on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great interview!! I have trouble with titles, too, so it's nice to know published authors do also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoyed the interview. I look forward to reading this one. Bravo for following your passion.

    dorcontest at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  31. She seems great - I love author interviews. It makes them seem so much more down to earth.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! I didn't realize she went to law school!

    Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great interview! I especially liked the 7 words. I always have a hard time with questions like these! I can never seem to come with interesting words that really capture who I am.

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!