nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Review: Inside Out by Maria Snyder

INSIDE OUT by Maria Snyder
Pub. Date: April 2010
Publisher: Harlequin
Format: Paperback, 320pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Keep Your Head Down.
Don't Get Noticed.
Or Else.
I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.

Whether Dystopian or Fantasy, Snyder knows how to create a captivating world filled with unforgettable characters and a heart-pounding story line. I fell in love with her Study and Glass Series and I knew that her new YA Series would be no exception. INSIDE OUT pulls you in right from the start. The inner workings of Inside’s hierarchy along with the differences between the scrubs and the uppers living arrangements dare you to unlock the mysteries surrounding Inside. What exists Outside? Is there an Outside? These questions amongst others spurred my curiosity alongside Trella’s.

The books that have great characters are always the ones that stay close to my heart. So when you combine these bigger than life characters with a high risk for failure structure, the net is cast. I was so enraptured by this novel that I did not want to break away from it for one minute. Trella has always kept to herself even if her use of the pipes is to escape the unbearable living arrangements of the scrubs. When curiosity gets the better of her, life suddenly goes from uncomfortable to risky. Known for her cold nature, she has to turn to others for help in her search for answers. Suddenly, with everything at stake, she has no choice but to finish what she started. I admire everything about Trella and the dangerous risks she takes on, especially when she could be sent to the Chomper to be recycled. She’s smart, strong-willed, and resourceful in dire situations. Snyder created a great cast of characters and I can’t wait to read more about them.

Snyder’s writing and world building continues to amaze me. Her creativity is something that I’ve always loved about her writing. You never know what surprises or plot twists she has in store for her characters. Currently with the YA genre filled with supernatural creatures, Inside Out is a breath of fresh air for readers looking for something new and exciting.

The next novel in this series, OUTSIDE IN is scheduled for release in January 2011. I can’t wait to see what Snyder has in store for Trella and crew next. I’m sure it’s going to be just as heart-pounding if INSIDE OUT is anything to go by.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

39 comments:

  1. I finished it yesterday! It really was fantastic and it leaves you waiting for more at the end. This is a must read for all Snyder fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds so fantastic. Thanks a bunch for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I love the Study Series and can't wait to start the Glass series and Inside Out, I know I'll love them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds great. Thanks for the review. I feel like I need it now. :]

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't it just so fantastic? I love your new blog design (sorry if you've had it up for a while and I just didn't notice)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to read any of her books, though I wonder if this is a good place to start. Maybe I should read the Study and Glass series first?

    Great review though, I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @melissa @ 1lbr - I changed it over the weekend. Thanks!

    @fredamans - You can start with Inside Out! After you finish you should definitely check out her Study and Glass Series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read the first book in the Glass series. I can't wait to read the rest of her books in part because of your great reviews. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your the first person who has given this a good review. I keep seeing not so good reviews of this. I really love Synder's work so I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this great review! I cannot wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely loved this book. You really did capture the book in your review...good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen great reviews of this novel several places... and I really want to read it! : ) After all, Dystopia? Yes, please. I recently bought the first 2 books in Snyder's Study series, I just haven't been able to start them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your review makes me want to read this even more! Inside Out sounds like a good adventure dystopian.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AHHH! I want to read it now. Thanks a lot of the awesome review. Geez, 5 out of 5 stars and the review? Made of win!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so excited to read this book! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh, this is one of the many good reviews Ive read about this book. It makes me want it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so excited for this book! Love her Poison and Glass series.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Study series, but for some reason I can't find the Glass series in my bookstore. Hopefully they have this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the wrolds that she gives us I need something new to read and this sound like my kind so excited I love the cover great review

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! It definitely makes me want to pick up INSIDE OUT. Loved Snyder's POISON series and am sure this one won't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved both The Study and The Glass series, so it's very likely I'll fall in love with this series too. Maria has a way of really bringing you into the worlds she creates. I can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard that Maria's other series are really good so am looking forward to reading Inside Out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Man, I've heard so many great things about this book. I really want to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This book sounds great! Now I can't wait to read it:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. great review, now i must add it to my TO BUY list!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This book sounds amazing! Great review :0

    ReplyDelete
  27. Inside Out sounds really amazing! I'm glad you liked it!!

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the review!
    I keep adding her books to my "wishlist" as they keep coming out, but alas I haven't had the chance to read any of them yet, and your review just makes me want to even more (:

    ReplyDelete
  29. This one sounds good even tho I've heard both good and bad reviews for it. I'll need to read it and deside for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The general consensus seems to be leaning towards the very good and okay good, but Snyder is one of my favorite authors so I'm reading everything of hers!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can't wait to read this. I read Storm Glass and loved it. I also own her Study series but am waiting to finish the Glass series first since I heard the Study series is better. This one sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wowww. I'll have to go check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a unique story. I love all my weres and vamps, but when something totally new comes along, it really makes me take pause. This is going on my to read list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Godd, I wanna read this so badly! Lol! (=

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great review!!! This sounds like something I am definitely going to have to read

    ReplyDelete
  36. WOW, terrific review. I know I will enjoy reading this book. It has the magic to keep me interested and want to keep reading to see how the book ends.
    Thanks for the great review.


    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great Review!!! Now instead of a slight hunger for the book, I have a ravenous hunger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I loved Trella. Snyder always creates wonder full characters, and I could not put the book down. If you have not read Inside Out, you are missing out on a very good read.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!