nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with Maria Snyder!

Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maria V. Snyder earned an MA in Popular Fiction Writing from Seton Hill University. Her freelance articles appear in magazines and newspapers, and she enjoys teaching fiction writing classes at the local college. Other works by Snyder include her fantasy novels, the Study Series and Glass Series. INSIDE OUT is in stores today!

If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
I'd go back to 1978 and I'd want to be me again, but with all my current day knowledge :) Why – middle school was a tough time for me and I'd like to replay it.

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
Inside Out: Dystopian, reluctant hero, action packed, big mystery.

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
I have so many favorites. One of my top ten is Jaran by Kate Elliott. It's a science fiction but the main protagonist crash lands on a planet that has an interesting nomadic tribe. My crush would be on the main hero, who is leader of this tribe, Ilya.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
I would be Lessa from the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. Something about riding a dragon and being able to communicate with them is just so cool!

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you/ Why?
I would like to see Lena Headey play me. She played Sarah Conner in the Sarah Conner Chronicles TV show.

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
Glitter Love. About a year after Poison Study hit the shelves, I received an email from a young lady who told me my book and especially Yelena gave her the hope and courage to not commit suicide (this is dearer to me than any award or being on the NYTimes Bestseller list). She asked me if I would like to be a part of her English assignment. Her class was doing a Tuesdays with Morrie type project where the students talked with someone who inspired them and then write a report. I agreed and every week we emailed each other.

Glitter love became our sign off because she once said she'd love to meet me in person and she would make me a big welcome sign with lots of glitter. And I told her that just because I write books doesn't mean my life is all glitter and sparkle, that if you look close you can see flaws and see some glitter that doesn't shine – it was a way for me to tell her – no one's life is perfect and that we all have ups and downs even award-winning authors :) She titled her report Glitter Love and earned an A!

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
I asked my kids to describe me in seven words. Here's what my son, Luke (age 15) typed: very naggy, very momish, ticklish, weak, jelly, bossy, bad singer, crazy. (Obviously I need to talk to his math teacher :)
My daughter Jenna (age 12): momish, happy, nice, boney, knobby knees, soft, squishy.
And mine: tired, goofy, grumpy, creative, busy, generous, tired.

Bonus:

**Is there any additional info you would like to share with your readers about what’s next for you and your books?**.
The next book after Inside Out is Spy Glass, the third book in the Glass series. That is coming out in September. In 2011, Outside In is coming out in January and after that...I need to sit down with my editor and figure out what's next :)

If anyone is interested in my books and would like to read a chapter, I have a chapter of all my books up on my website. I also have a bunch of free short stories to read as well. Here's the url: www.mariavsnyder.com


Thanks Maria for stopping by!

For more information about Maria Snyder and her books, please visit her website here or you can read the 1st 3 chapters of INSIDE OUT and take the INSIDE OUT personality quiz to find out how to become a ‘productive member’ of ‘Inside’ and find the perfect job here.

Check out the book trailer!

34 comments:

  1. Great questions! I always find it hard to describe myself in 7 words too.

    Almost finished with Inside Out now and am loving it!! So glad that Spy Glass comes out in fall, the book originally said in 2011 and that made me freak out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Q&A!

    I love how she'd go back and live her own life again. Not many people say that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I want to read her new book! i liked the describe yourself in 7 words...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. It was interesting to see how Maria's kids view her. I can't wait to read Inside Out. I loved Storm Glass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that she got her kids to describe her in 7 words... Cute!

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria V Snyder I love you and your books! The story about the young girl and the glitter love was very touching!

    I am looking forward to Spy Glass and Inside Out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The question about what you would name your memoir was just amazing! Amazing story. I'm glad she got an A!

    I also really enjoyed the description of you in 7 words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this interview. I love these Sensational 7 interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview. I love the story about Glitter Love. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her anecdote about Glitter Love was wonderful. : ) And it was so wonderful that she had her kids describe her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of that book she said was her favorite! I'll have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. That Glitter Love story is amazing. That in itself could be a book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love the Glitter story. I'm a little teary eyed. That's amazing. Thank you so much for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great questions.
    Thanks for posting the trailer. It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha..."Very Naggy" - I think most kids would describe their mother that way...including mine. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the interview, that's so great about Glitter Love :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE Maria V Snyder she my favorite author I'm so excited for this Book Sound Amazing great interview

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview! The Glitter Love story makes me smile and gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's funny how the kids both used momish. The Glitter Love bit was very inspiring. I love all of Maria's books and I am eagerly awaiting the release of Inside Out

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the interview and the book recommendations; I've never heard of Kate Elliott and now I definitely want to read Jaran.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha, wow. This interview was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great questions! Thanks for the great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  23. great Q&A, looking forward to reading Inside Out, never read a book like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great interview! I love the Glitter Love story :) Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the interview (:
    I think its amazing that she had such an impact on that girls life, and I agree, that is better than making it on the NYTimes Bestsellers list

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that she had her kids describe her! I'd be scared to let my kids do that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's amazing how many things she named that I have never heard of O_O Either I'm too young or out of the loop on things lol

    That trailer is kick-ass!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That was a really awesome interview.

    I lovedddd the answer to the question about the biography. I also love the idea of a Tuesdays With Morrie type project.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I totally agree with going back in time knowing what you know now. I can't tell you how many times I think about that.

    can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great interview. Can't wait for the book (=

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great interview I love Sarah conor chronicles!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great interview. This sounds like a great read

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great interview Maria. If I could be a good influence on a young persons live I would feel honored. I try to teach by example not just words. I don't know, but there may be someone whose life I did influence and I just don't know it. I would like to think so.
    Thanks for stopping by to chat.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks Maria! i have loved every book that I have read by you and plan to for all the rest!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!