nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with Christy Raedeke!


Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson

Christy Raedeke is many things, among them an award-winning writer and avid adventurer.

Raedeke's love of mysticism and thirst for ancient knowledge has taken her around the world. She has trekked in the Himalayas, floated down the River Ganges, explored the catacombs under Paris and Rome, studied feng shui in Kuala Lumpur, cloistered at an hermitage in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, spent Halloween in a 16th century Scottish castle, and gone looking for shaman among the Mayan ruins of the Yucatan.

Raedeke was the 2008 recipient of the Edna L. Holmes Fellowship in Young Readers Literature from Oregon Literary Arts and her writing for young adults has earned several awards and accolades. She is a member of the PEN America Center and the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI).

When not globetrotting, Raedeke lives with her family in Oregon. Her debut novel, Prophecy of Days is in stores now!

If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
I’d like to be an expatriate in France in the 1920s, as described by Hemingway in A Movable Feast. I’d like to chill in Cap d’Antibes with the Fitzgeralds, drink with Picasso, attend the Salons that Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas hosted, shoot the breeze with Ezra Pound, run the bulls with Hemingway. It was a dicey time because of the war, but all these incredible creative people—painters and photographers and writers and poets—were friends. They were producing some really amazing stuff and revolutionizing the world of modern arts and letters. I love almost all art and literature that came from that era.

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
Young girl takes on worldwide shadow government.

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
This is such a hard question! Seriously hard. I usually like the oddball characters, like Danny in The Keep and Hassan in An Abundance of Katherines. I don’t think I can choose a favorite book but I’ll say the best Young Adult book I’ve read this year (though it’s not new) is How I Live Now. I think about it all the time.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
Can it be non-fiction? I’d love to be Tenzin Palmo, a female monk who secluded herself in a remote cave 13,000 feet up in the Himalayas for more than twelve years of. She was born Diane Perry, an ordinary English girl. That kind of extreme dedication and focus, especially coming from someone not born into the Buddhist tradition, absolutely fascinates me. I’ve read her book, Cave in the Snow, about five times. Of course, I have none of the willpower to do anything like this, as evidenced by my biography title in question number 6 below.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you/ Why?
Parker Posey is one of my favorite actresses, and I love her in Christopher Guest’s hilarious movies. Though we look nothing alike, I think if she gained a few pounds she could capture my je ne sais quois!

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
I have a problem with moderation, so the title of my biography would probably be: Whoever Said Less Is More Probably Never Had Quite Enough More: Christy Raedeke, A Biography.

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
The good stuff is in the fringes…

Bonus:

**Is there any additional info you would like to share with your readers about what’s next for you and your books?**
I am in that weird place, right before book release, waiting for reviews and reactions. It’s terrifying! Not knowing whether the book will be liked or reviled is really stressful. This business is hard! All the uncertainty and all the waiting….

But I can’t express enough how important the Book Blog community is to debut authors. You are all so kind and generous with your blogs and your support—it’s very heartening! And very unexpected. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks Christy for stopping by!

For more information about Christy Raedeke and her books, please visit her website here.

27 comments:

  1. I would love to travel like that! Great interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of authors are from Oregon. What's in the water up there? I need some. Prophecy of Days has a awesome cover. It's definitely a book I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She chose my favorite era and place, 1920's France. I always thought it was a refined time.

    Great Q&A!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview and I cannot wait to read Christy's book. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the interview, Tina! I really enjoyed your questions.

    Cheers,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating interview. I can't wait to read Christy's book.

    I can't wait to see the movie of her life, either. Parker Posey could do it, hands-down, but if she's unavailable, maybe a young Linda Carter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Anjie on the Parker Posey thing.

    And I LOVE the title for the new bio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your book Christy. It sounds awesome. I can't believe how many amazing places you've been.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really looking forward to this book, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about!
    Great interview (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. She sounds like a woman I could hang with. So down to earth. Great interview! Can't wait for her book!

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview! I would love to spend Halloween in a Scottish castle.
    marlenebreakfield(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview & any young girl taking on the government is cause to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview! I'm so excited for this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I truly envy your traveling. I hope to one day do the same. Congrats on your fist novel. I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great title for her biography, I'll read it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great interview! I love Parker Posey too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. On my wishlist. Sounds like an exciting read.

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the interview. I loved seeing inside of the author. I loved her answer to who she would be as a character in fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview! I would love to read her book, it sounds really good. And she's really traveled to some places!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for the interview Christy! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great interview. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Really good questions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay. This makes me want to read this book EVEN MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always enjoy your interviews!

    I bet it would be a weird place with waiting for you book to come out and bracing for reviews! Exciting and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome interview! I liked how you asked a variety of interesting questions!

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always like the 'if you could travel anyway in any time' questions, every answer is always different. :)

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!