nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

SISTERS RED by Jackson Pearce
Pub. Date: June 2010
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover, 328pp
Age Range: Young Adult
Source: Publisher

Scarlet March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

An impeccable retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, SISTERS RED exudes a dark, dangerous, and creative edge. I’ve read quite a few fairy tale retellings and SISTERS RED takes the cake. This novel hooked its claws into me from the beginning with the foreboding danger lurking around the girls. I found my eyes glued to the pages and was breathlessly anticipating what would happen next.

SISTERS RED is told in alternating view points through Scarlett’s and Rosie’s eyes. The March sisters are different in their own right and I loved their strength in wanting to fight for what they wanted. Scarlett’s duty to keep Rosie safe and protect other girls from the wolves was admirable, especially having to endure her battle scars after her attack. Then there’s Rosie’s yearn for more out of life, even if it tears the sisters apart. And finally, we are introduced to Silas, a carefree, protective, and fierce woodsman who could very well destroy Scarlett’s and Rosie’s sisterly bond. Pearce’s imaginative writing turned SISTERS RED into a heart-pounding and tumultuous read. The danger surrounding the sisters’ lifestyle and choices about the future made this novel and thrilling read.

Who knew that a retelling could be so good? I can’t wait to see what the sequel, SWEETLY has in store for us. SISTERS RED’s dark twist will thrill readers to no end.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

43 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading this book.Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review! :) I LOVED this book...I cant wait for Sweetly too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fairytale retellings with a twist, so I'm really looking forward to reading Sisters Red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely looking forward to reading this one - it's been on my radar for months. Fairy tale re-tellings = awesome, and everyone seems to be enjoying it.

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an award for you on my BLOG!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since werewolves are my new favorite thing, I definitely want to read this one! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been on the look-out for good retellings lately. I'll have to add this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like an interesting read. I love werewolves! Even if they may be bad guys...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. This sounds really good. I love fairy stories that are retold with a different twist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to read this book. I've heard so many good things about it! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love retold fairy tales -- a new twist on an old idea. Elizabeth Bunce did a great job with A CURSE AS DARK AS GOLD and knowing Jackson, I'm excited to see what she's done with Scarlett & Rosie in SISTERS RED!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been hearing/seeing this book all over the interwebs!! This is most definitely going onto my TBR pile now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOOOH, I love alternating POVs. Awesome review, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard so much about this book. I'm really looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to read this book. I'm a huge fan of twists on classic fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to read this book! I love Jackson! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review! I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds really good! The dark fairytale format reminds me of Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds awesome the whole twist on a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds sooo good! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Littel Red Riding Hood was one of my favorite fairy tale, so this book is definitely on my list to read. Very nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like a really fun book but I just wish you mentioned why it was only a four star book

    ReplyDelete
  23. Retellings are always fun. Love the cover for this one. Great review by the way. Looks like an interesting read

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard nothing but good things about this book. I can't WAIT to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am dying to read this book. It sounds like a great read

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love fairy tale retellings but I honestly don't think I've read a Little Red Riding Hood one before. I've heard SUCH good things about this book lately.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoy fairy tale retellings so can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds so good! I don't usually read fairy tale retellings but I am definitely going to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love retellings! This sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great review! This has become one of my favorite reads of the year. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Im really looking forward to reading this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really think this looks amazing and so much fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ive heard really good things about this book. Sounds so interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great review!! I really want to read this book! It sounds so interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! You seem to enjoy this book very much! I love reading retelling of fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great review! I really want to read this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This book looks soo good! I love Little Red Riding Hood!

    ReplyDelete
  38. cant wait to read this one it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great review. I can't wait to read this book. Sounds so awesome and love the cover!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm definitely in the mood for a good fairy tale retelling. This sounds really different and worth my time.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just finished reading Bitten, also about werewolves. I think this book would be a good follow up read! Love your review, now I am really interested. Thank you

    terrymac

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!