nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Review: Wayfarer by R.J. Anderson

WAYFARER by R.J. Anderson
Pub. Date: June 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Format: Hardcover, 296pp
Age Range: Young Adult

The faeries of the Oak are in danger of extinction, and their only hope for survival rests in fifteen-year-old Linden. Armed with the last of her people's magic, she travels bravely into the modern human world. Along the way she makes a reluctant ally—a human boy named Timothy.

Soon Linden and Timothy discover a danger much worse than the Oakenfolk's loss of magic . . . a potent evil that threatens to enslave faeries and humans alike. In a fevered, desperate chase across the country, Tim and Linden must risk their lives to seek an ancient power before it's too late to save everyone they love.

In WAYFARER, the stakes are even higher as we follow Linden and Timothy on an unforgettable adventure to save the fairies of Oakenwyld.
Linden is appointed for an important task to seek out other faeries in hopes of restoring magic to the faeries of Oakenwyld. Her journey leads her to Timothy, whose suspicions of his cousin Paul’s and Knife’s urgent whispers, leads into an argument that sends him on the run. Linden, then becomes an uninvited guest as Timothy heads to the one place that Linden views as an opportunity to find the help she desperately seeks. Soon, Linden’s and Timothy’s adventures take them deep into dangerous territory. With the weight of Linden’s and Timothy’s lives and Oakenwyld’s future at stake, WAYFARER became a nonstop page turner as these two raced across the country for aide.

As difficult as it was at times for Linden and Timothy, I loved that Linden did not let her fears stop her from keeping her vows. I fell in love with these two. The new faeries (dangerous, exciting, and creepy) and the new places Linden and Timothy visited drew me deeper into this book with its nonstop danger and new discoveries at every turn. Anderson continues to pull me into the world of Oakenwyld. The magical intrigue, mix of delightful characters, and great storytelling makes this series a fantastical read. I was quite surprised with the direction this series took.

I could get lost in Anderson’s world of faeries. It’s magical, enchanting, and so different from other books that I’ve read about fairies, which is why I’m now a big fan of this series. WAYFARER delivers at being just as good as its predecessor. I’m extremely excited that I can continue reading more about Oakenwyld. There are two more installments left in this series. I can’t wait to see what happens next!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

26 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one! Another to add to the TBR pile ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when a reviewer calls the book a page turner... means for a great read! I took note yesterday, and am more keen now!

    Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover. Sounds like a fun series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I loved the first book in the series. I can't wait to read this one. I'm glad you like so many of the same books as I do. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. I read Faery Rebels (well, the edition I read was titled Knife) and I loved it, but I haven't read this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I first looked into this book because I loved the cover. It's nice to hear that it's a really great story as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely review. It'll be an amazing read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm getting both books soon and you just made me soooo much more excited for them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. any time you can get lost in the world the author is doing something right. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow the book sounds so interesting and intriguing! I can't wait until it comes out!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Faery Rebels which I really liked so im sure this one will be as good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read Faery Rebels which I really liked so im sure this one will be as good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one looks really good. I love the name Linden, its cute for a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have Wayfarer on my wishlist! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great book. What with all the undead and werewolves nice to see a return to faires

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I always get hooked on fairy books once I read one and this sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow sounds fantastic! I was leary of this one just because there are so many fairy/pixie/etc books out there, but it sounds like this one beats the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to get lost in this world too. Great review. What a trip to have magic powers for real.

    dorcontest at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you liked this book. I've heard so much about it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have heard a great deal about this book. Your review makes me want to read it even more. I like fairy books and look forward to reading a fresh new story.

    thanks for the review and the contest

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have the first book and I haven't read it yet. I don't want to read any spoilers by reading the review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review Please enter me in contest. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the great review. :) Can't wait to get to read it. I love books about faeries/fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome review! I just love the cover of this book! Thanks for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome review ! It's good to know that there will be two more books in the series !

    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  26. I read this book a year ago and I thought it was amazing! I read it after reading the first of the series, Knife, which I would advise. Arrow, the third of the set is out now, with the fourth, Swift, out in March. These books are unputdownable and so page turning that you will be so gutted when you finish!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!