nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with R.J. Anderson!

Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson

R.J. (Rebecca) Anderson was born in Uganda, raised in Ontario, went to school in New Jersey, and has spent much of her life dreaming of other worlds entirely.

As a child she immersed herself in fairy tales, mythology, and the works of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and E. Nesbit; later she discovered more contemporary authors like Ursula LeGuin, Patricia A. McKillip and Robin McKinley, and learned to take as much pleasure from their language as the stories they told.

Now married and the mother of three young sons, Rebecca reads to her children the classic works of fantasy and science fiction that enlivened her own childhood, and tries to bring a similar sense of humor, adventure, and timeless wonder to the novels she writes for children and young adults.

WAYFARER is in stores now!

If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
You know, you would think this is a nice light question... and I'm about to give it this big theological answer, but I'm a preacher's daughter so that's how I roll.
I'd like to go back to Israel in the year 33 or so, on the day Jesus rose from the dead. In Luke 24 there's a story about how later that day, Jesus joined two of his disciples walking down the road to Emmaus, and had a long conversation with them. I would love to listen in on that conversation!

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
Linden and Timothy get into big trouble!

(I cannot tell a lie: Saundra Mitchell, author of Shadowed Summer, came up with that one. I owe you, Saundra! I am terrible at seven-word answers.)

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
C.S. Lewis's The Silver Chair made a huge impact on me as a kid. It's so dark and gloomy and even scary in parts, but Jill is a wonderful tough, headstrong, yet vulnerable character (and I strongly identified with her misery over being picked on at school) and I adore Puddleglum.

As for a fictional crush, I have several (hello, Mr. Knightley), but most recently I fell in love with Jared Sapiens, the young tutor from Catherine Fisher's Incarceron and its sequel Sapphique. He's brilliant, scholarly, has a powerful sense of honor and duty, but he's willing to risk everything -- his position, his reputation, even his life -- to get to the truth and do what's right. He's got this quiet bravery and integrity, and this selfless love for Claudia, that just made me adore him from the start. It doesn't hurt that he's slim and dark and green-eyed and has beautiful hands, either. :)

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
Eowyn in Tolkien's The Return of the King. She's beautiful, intelligent, determined, wields a mean sword, slays the Lord of the Nazgul (and deliver one of the best lines of the whole book in the process), and gets to marry Faramir, who is one of my other literary boyfriends. You can't get much cooler than that.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you/ Why?
I couldn't think of an answer, so I ran my pic through Celebrity Face Recognition. The #1 answer? Danny Elfman. HARSH, software people, HARSH.

However, the next best female match was Debra Messing, about whom I know nothing except that she was in "Will and Grace," a show I've never watched. Um, okay then?

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
The Boundary Between, which is a snippet of a longer quote which appears in the Acknowledgments of my first novel -- "This world of ours, and worlds unseen / and thin the boundary between." I've spent much of my life with my feet in this world and my head in another, whether it's some fantastic world of my imagination, or the realm of the spiritual and theological.

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
A curious mixture of practicality and daydreaming.

Bonus:

**Is there any additional info you would like to share with your readers about what’s next for you and your books?**
There is! My next book will be ARROW, coming out in January 2011, which wraps up many of the loose ends introduced in the first two faery books. But that doesn't mean I'm done with faeries, because there's going to be a fourth book called SWIFT in 2012. And in between those two, I have a non-faery novel coming out -- a paranormal YA thriller called TOUCHING INDIGO, which is the story of a girl with synesthesia who ends up in psychiatric care after the death of a schoolmate, trying to figure out if she is responsible for the other girl's murder. So that should keep me busy for a while at least!


Thanks for stopping by R.J.!

For more information about R.J. Anderson and her books, please visit her website here.

20 comments:

  1. Great interview. I can't wait to read Wayfarer. And wow, R.J., you've been really busy writing. All your upcoming books sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to fight me for Faramir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Q&A! I can't wait to read your books, and I think Debra Messing would be a great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard the time travel question asked several times but that's the first time I've seen it answered this way. Interesting! I'd definitely be tempted to pick up a biography with that title :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really exciting. Sounds like she has a lot of other great books planned too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful interview! I plan to read wayferer =D Can't wait for the other books either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, she has lived in a lot of places. That is extremely cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha I loved reading the interview!!

    Linden and Timothy get into big trouble sounds like a great descrition!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait til January! great interview

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome interview! The book sounds really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love the questions you ask in your interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview! I can't wait to raed Wayfarer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really interesting review. Always nice to see fairy books. Can't wait to read the book

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview. Glad to hear about the upcoming books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome giveaway. It got me thinking where I would want to be if I could go back in time. It's almost scary to think about because we got it good right now.

    dorcontest at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book sounds great. I loved all of her in depth answers! It tells so much about an author!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow what a neat person. This interview makes me want to read the book even more. I loved that she in her first question what time would you travel to she answered 33AD.

    kennifernjennyatgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  18. I guess I won't be using Celebrity Face Recognition. I wouldn't even want to know who they pick for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview! Looking forward to your upcoming novels, Anderson! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loves this interview! I love Eowyn's character in LOTR.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!