nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Review: Captivate by Carrie Jones

Captivate by Carrie Jones
Pub. Date: January 05, 2010
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Format: Hardcover, 288pp

Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town.

A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his
.

Captivate picks up a couple of months from where Need left off with Zara, Nick and company continuing their mission to keep Bedford safe from dangerous pixies. I actually reread Need before starting Captivate as a refresher to get reacquainted with the characters. I’m so glad I did because I enjoyed getting to know Nick again considering there’s a possible love triangle in Captivate.

I also enjoyed getting to see Zara’s growth in this installment and the events that led to her growth when it came down to facing her fears were a shocker indeed. Carrie Jones did a great job keeping me in the dark because I would have never expected certain events to play out the way they did in Captivate. This book had my heart rate sky rocketing while the pages continued to fly away. I could not put this one down.

New characters are introduced in this installment and one of them goes by the name of Astley. He’s the new pixie King in town. Astley has that dark, sexy and mysterious vibe that I love in male characters and while I love Nick, I found myself drawn to Astley in this installment. I also love how Carrie Jones introduced new elements that spanned around the lore which only made Captivate more intriguing.

Captivate ended with a perfect cliffhanger that answered plenty of questions while leaving the storyline open to keep readers salivating for the next installment. Zara has some hard decisions to make and I can’t wait to see what Carrie Jones has in store for us next.

Rating: 4 ½ out of 5 Stars

34 comments:

  1. SOOOOOO EXCITED now!!! Currently reading Need and loving it :) bought Captivated 2 days ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to have to read Need. It sounds like a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, on my tbr list now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought this! Glad to hear you liked it. I also hearing that Zara grows some - that will be good to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. Glad to hear positive things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww man. I want to read this series. But now I really really really want to read it. Thanks for this review : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love triangles and cliffhangers. Sign me up, that sounds like the book for me. =3 Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm about to start the first book and I'm so excited! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great review.I still haven't read Need but its on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read another review that said they were drawn to Astley too. I can't wait to read this and meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks, you're review has made me want to read this book even more :-)
    Emma J.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still haven't read Need yet I am thinking I'll be reading it next. I love the covers on both of these books. They are completely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been "captivated" by this book series since seeing the first cover. Very interesting cover with the gold glitter dusty effect....ever since it's been on my wish list. Great to see there is more in what I hope to be a great series (and from what I hear, it is!).
    Thanks for sharing....and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read Need yet, although it's sitting on my desk! I guess I need to hop to it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review. I'll have to add Need to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so excited to read this. I loved reading Need :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to get this! I loved Need!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So excited to read book 2!!! Yay, I love the new year so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds so good. Can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to read both of these.. Need and Captivate.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review. I am glad we get to see the characters grow while meeting new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow... your review is great!! I like that you mention reading things that you didnt expect!! That is so awesome!!
    I can not wait to read this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had forgotten about wanting to read this book after I bought five novels recently and fixated on those. Your review has now gotten be hyped up about reading it again. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great review! You touched on all the high points without giving away too much. The book sounds lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love these covers. Faeries are getting pretty common in fictional lately (and I'm NOT complaining!) but I think these are the only ones I've seen that feature pixies.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome review! You make me really want to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds so good! I will have to read it! I will be buying the series!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've finished Need and I really want to read Captivate! Thanks for your review! It makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a great review. I loved the book, loved that Zara actually had a personality. Loved the phobias and how the chapters were named after them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been putting off buying Need so that I can read both books together. Can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is one series I really want to start! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks like a great book, but I think I'm going to have to read "Need" first to fully appreciate it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm glad the sequel lives up to the expectation =)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I didn't finish it :S I read Need a couple months ago and it was OK, but Captive... sorry >< I just stopped...

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!