nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Review: Shadow by Jenny Moss

SHADOWby Jenny Moss
Pub. Date: April 2010
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Format: Hardcover, 384pp
Age Range: 12 and up

In a time of kings, queens, and conspiracy, it's impossible to know whom one can trust. . . .

In a kingdom far away and long ago, it was prophesied at her birth that the queen would die before her sixteenth birthday. So Shadow, an orphan girl the same age as the young queen, was given the duty to watch her every move. And as prophesies do tend to come true, the queen is poisoned days before her birthday. When the castle is thrown into chaos, Shadow escapes with a young knight, whom she believes was betrothed to the queen.

Unsure of why she is following Sir Kenway, but determined to escape as far as possible from the castle, her long-time prison, Shadow sets off on an adventure with the handsome knight who has been charged with protecting her. As mystery builds, and romantic tension does, too, Shadow begins to wonder what her role in the kingdom truly is. Soon, she learns, it is up to her to save her land.

Jenny Moss's novel is a lyrical, fast-paced adventure filled with mystery, magic, honor, and romance that will lead readers on an incredible journey.

Always in the background, Shadow longs for freedom outside the walls of the cruel Queen Audrey. Defiance against her Queen and her Queen’s maidens has lead Shadow to many harsh punishments. Her inner strength comforts her in the face of misery at the hands of nobility. If it wasn’t for her strong will, I don’t know how Shadow would have fared if she had to endure more of the Queen’s cruelty. She was pretty much treated like a dog with only scraps to eat and straw to sleep on, while everyone else lived in comfort.

The mysteries surrounding her birth mother and the reasons for her to stay with the Queen at all times had me questioning everyone’s intentions. Who should Shadow trust? Going by the way she was treated, I didn’t know what the motives behind Advisor Eldred, Sir Kenway, or the Regent Fyren were. It seemed everyone was keeping some secret of some sort from Shadow.

Moss crafted a thrilling and suspenseful story full of mystery and secrets at every turn. I found myself rooting for Shadow and her fight for freedom throughout her journey to find herself. Moss’s writing flowed effortless and I had a hard time putting this book down. I look forward to reading more of Moss’s books.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

14 comments:

  1. Great review!

    I love these types of stories! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I really liked this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. like the review! will look into, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I like the sound of this! I'm a sucker for knights. Oh knights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review. I love the adventure. And now I'm curious to see what kind of trials Shadow has to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely add this to me list to be read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one looks good. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fast paced adventure chock full of mysteries--my type of book.

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shadow is a great name and totally makes sense for the book. I'm looking forward to this one since I love stories with Queens and knights. :) It reminds me of Fairest by Gail Carson Levine. Kinda...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm interested! Seems like Shannon Hale meets Kristin Cashore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! Definitely sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this has intrigued me. must...go...hunt....down...book....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review sounds like a really good read

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love this book! I've read it at least 5 times and it gets better every time! Love the romance between Kenway and Audrey. Love this!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!